Having a public API is a common approach when companies want to make the shift from being a solution and become a platform. In the last year, while developing Outbrain's Amplify public API, we had dilemmas, we faced challenges and learned valuable lessons. In this session I will share what we have learned in term of development, execution and management of a public API, and will talk about things like:
- How to build the development team, and how to set its objectives.
- Why it is important that the business guys your work with will know what is API ?
- Why developing public API is different in term of the involvement of the developers in the business decisions, settings the priorities and meeting the users ?
- Which versioning approach to take ?
- What you should know, and do before launching public API ?
- Testing - Automatic, manual
- "This is not a pure RESTFul" is it a valid argument ?
- How to maintain the internal API together with the public API ?
- How to within the organization the importance of the API ?
- The importance of "eating your own dog food"